How To Make Stir-fried Eggplant Chinese Style

Hello again! Thank you so much for enjoying our recipes. We have had a very good response, and so many people are reading, and I hope cooking them. They are really very easy to cook, or else I won't be sharing them. And of course they also taste good.

So here is another dish, this time featuring another veggie that I ate as a child. Back when I was a kid, I didn't like eating vegetables. This was one of the very few that I ate, and only if it was cooked omelette style.

This recipe though is Chinese style, and if you've been reading our other recipes, you'll know that for a period of time, I have lived and worked in Hong Kong, hence, the knowledge of some Chinese dishes.

In this recipe, I used:
3 large eggplants, cut into strips
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped into small pieces
3 pcs of chilies, chopped
spring onions, cut into 2 inches long
sliced pork, fat rendered (optional)



This is the finished dish, ready to be eaten.


My eggplants look wrinkled, and they were, because I forgot that I bought them and they've been in the fridge for a week already! Since I didn't want to waste them, I cooked them! I cut the eggplants this way for faster cooking, and if you are not cooking right away, you can soak your eggplant in a bowl of water.


By now you also know that I like using a lot of garlic, but of course that depends on what I am cooking. Not only do they give a pleasant aroma to your dish, they are also very healthy for you as they regulate blood pressure and other things.


I also put in some slices of pork, although I only used half of what is in this small pan. This is pork belly, with the fat rendered. I did that by putting the pieces on the pan without oil, on slow heat, until the fat of the meat comes out.


So when you're ready to cook, heat up your pan, add around 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, when it's hot, add in your garlic, onions and chilies. Stir for a few seconds. You should smell a very pleasant aroma. And of course, if you don't like your food spicy, you can forego the chilies altogether.


After around 2 minutes, you can add your meat if you are using it. Stir for a minute or so. Alternatively, if you do not want to render the fat and everything else, you can use minced pork instead. That's what the Chinese use.


After that, you add your eggplant. I did not add any water. Since I've been soaking it in a bowl of water, some of the moisture already seeped into the vegetable pieces, plus, eggplants have their natural moisture. To flavor it, add a dash of soy sauce, making sure not to add too much, just for color. And the rest, you may add oyster sauce if you have some at home. In my case, I just added salt and a little bit of sugar.


Cover the eggplant, letting it cook in its moisture, for about 5-10 minutes or until the eggplant is soft and fully cook. You can taste and adjust the taste in between.


At the last 2 minutes of cooking, add in your spring onion pieces. This is for added aroma and also, to put in some color. Turn off the heat and transfer it to a plate. Enjoy!

For more recipes, go to this page.

Comments