How To Cook Beef Steak Filipino Style

Well hello everyone! I am so glad that so many people are reading our recipes that are being shared here in this blog site! It is really my joy to share the food that I cook, and I do hope that you will learn to love cooking as well.

This recipe will be about cooking beef steak Filipino style. In other countries, steak is a chunk of beef, depending on the kind and cut, it could be sirloin, rib-eye, t-bone, filet mignon, flank steak or any other kind of steak. But those kinds are quite expensive, and if your family is big, then there is no way you can enjoy steak, right?

So we have to think of other ways to enjoy our version of steak, a dish that will not break the bank, and enough to feed the whole family. So here is the Filipino version of beef steak as we cook and eat it. Ready? Here we go.

In this recipe, I used:
1/2 kilo of lean beef, cut into thin slices
the juice of 10-15 kalamansi, or 1 lemon
around 1/4 cup soy sauce
4-5 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
1 big onion, cut into rings


As is my custom, I always put the finished product first, to have your cooking powers motivated.


I always cut my meat myself. Some people ask the butchers to slice it for them already, but sometimes, the butchers, when there are a lot of customers waiting, cut the meat in any which way they want, and I don't like that. It is best to wash the meat first, then cut it across the grain.


Marinate the beef with the kalamansi or lemon juice and the soy sauce for at least an hour. If you have lemons instead of the kalamansi, it is actually better as the lemon juice will be more aromatic when it is cooked.


When you're ready to cook, heat about a tablespoon of oil and saute your garlic and onion rings.


Cook in low heat until the onions are soft, but nor overcooked. Take out the onion rings and set aside for later.


After taking out the onions, turn the fire to high and add the beef into the pan, sauteing until the meat is no longer pink. At this point I add a little bit of dark soy sauce. I bring it to boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, until almost all the sauce has dried up and the meat has become tender.


At this time, very little sauce should remain. Taste your meat and the sauce. You can cook until the sauce has evaporated, but I like mine to have a little left, as the sauce will be so good on the piping hot rice. Your meat should be salty enough, with just a little hint of sour taste from your lemon juice, and the aroma should now fill your kitchen.



And it is as easy as that! No sweat. Turn off the heat, put the meat in a serving dish, and put your cooked onion rings on top. Voila! Here is the beef steak Filipino style! Enjoy!

For more recipes, you can go to this page.

Comments