How To Make Kimchi Fried Rice

Hello everyone! Been missing our recipes? Well, fret not! Here's another dish that is very easy to make and tastes delicious as well.

After I learned how to make kimchi, you can check the recipe here, I also started to look up other recipes that I can make that has kimchi in it, and one of them is kimchi fried rice. Not only is it super fast and easy to make, it is also delicious!

And if you've been reading our other recipes, you would already know that I like cooking recipes 'my way' after I have learned it, and in this case, I have chosen to somewhat make it a little bit westernized by adding bacon to the dish.

You will need:

2-3 cups left over rice
a few slices of bacon, cut into small pieces, you can increase the amount if desired
1 piece white onion, sliced
about 1 cup of kimchi, including its juice


Here is the finished product. It doesn't look too orange because I use mixed red and white rice.


The first thing I do is cook the bacon, and after I slice it I just put it into the pan, and let it cook in its own fat. You can add more bacon if you want more of course.


When the fat of the bacon has been rendered, add the onions and stir for a couple of minutes until the onions are almost cooked.


You can then add your kimchi. What I do is I cut the kimchi into smaller pieces, but you don't really have to if you can't be bothered. Cook it your way, remember? :-) Cook the kimchi until almost all the juice has evaporated.


You the add your rice afterwards, and stir and mix until all the color of the kimchi is evenly distributed on the rice. I rarely add any salt, because the kimchi is already seasoned, but have a taste and adjust accordingly.


I like to make my fried rice kind of 'toasted', so I keep it in the pan for as long as I could without burning it, to give it a kind of 'crispy' texture, but of course not too crispy. Kind of weird? Cook it according to your preference.


And we're done! The whole dish does not take 20 minutes to prepare and cook.  This is one of my fastest recipes and when I am too lazy to cook something else, I just cook this. When I don't want to cook another dish that goes with it, I just increase the amount of bacon, that way I can eat it on its own. 

There you have it. Wasn't that easy? Try it and I assure you, this will turn into one of your comfort foods. For more recipes, you can go to this page.

Comments