Being Truly Grateful


What does it mean to be grateful? Does it mean saying thank you every time we receive something? Does it mean taking photos of the things we receive and share it on social media? Every one has a different way of feeling and being grateful, and I'd like to share something about it.


We have all been affected by the ongoing pandemic, and our way of life, as we knew it, was suddenly turned upside down. Now we have a new normal, and although some are still trying to get used to it,  most of us have already accepted it as the new way of life.

My younger brother drives a Grab car as his means of earning a living. He had no problems earning enough for his family and for his monthly payments before the pandemic. That changed overnight when COVID-19 struck. His income went from great to literally zero. It didn't help that his wife, who just came home for good from being an OFW and finally found employment here unfortunately lost her new found job because she was still under training when the pandemic struck. The company she worked for had no choice but to let her go and her fellow trainees because business was at a standstill.

Every morning while we have breakfast he would lament on how there are so few passengers these days, and he endlessly worries on how he can pay his monthly payments. I totally empathize with my brother. He, being the head of his family, carries a huge responsibility. He has to feed his family, he has to pay the bills. The burden is just too great that he can't help but worry out loud. And while doing that, I shared with him these words: change your mindset.
I told him that instead of complaining about the lack of passengers, he should instead be grateful that there are still passengers, no matter how few and far in between. Instead of thinking about the past, he should be grateful for the present. He has not missed paying his monthly payments, his family still has not missed any meals, he still has food to eat, all of his family members are healthy. He should be grateful for those.

Oftentimes, we always see what we don't have, or what we used to have, and fail to be grateful for the things and people that we do have around us. As the day progressed, this thought struck me: when are we truly grateful? Are we grateful only when we have an abundance? Are we grateful only when good things are happening to us? What about when we are going through difficult times like the one we are going through right now? 

As I was thinking about that question, a song came to mind. Here are some of the lyrics.

This is my prayer in the desert, when all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

And this is my prayer in the fire, in weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flame

I will bring praise, I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice, I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

All of my life, in every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

The next few days I kept singing that song, and just a couple of days ago we received an email from work that our company CEO will be holding a call with all of the employees. We were informed that business will take sometime to recover, and as a measure, the company has to unfortunately let go of some employees, although they tried their very best to retain everyone, the difficult measure had to be done, and that in the next two days those affected will be receiving an email from their respective Managers. 

The news did not shock me as much as I thought it would. When I look back to the earlier part of the week, I think that thought, and that song already prepared me for it. I was to thank God during the good times and the bad times. I chatted with one of my teammates and we encouraged each other that we will pray and thank God no matter what news we will hear. Meanwhile, I thanked God that my job is intact, thanking God in advance that we will be called back to the office soon.

The next day, when I checked my work email, there was nothing in the mail. So again I declared by faith that we will be called back to the office very soon. I prayed for my teammates, that all of us will have the peace of mind while waiting for the unknown. Just before I went to bed last night, I checked my phone, and there was a message from my Manager that our team is safe, and that we will be going back to the office soon.

Upon seeing that message I prayed and thanked God for His goodness. And then I remembered to pray for the ones who, unfortunately, had to lose their jobs. I prayed that He will open another door of opportunity for them, and asked that He will continue to provide their needs. That they will find hope in Him, because he is our fully dependable Provider.
I am truly grateful. And the song that I shared above resonates more so within me. Whatever the season we are facing may be- in abundance and in need, we need to be grateful. In sickness and in health, we need to be grateful. We have to have the mindset of being grateful even for the so called mundane things in life. Then and only then, can we see how greatly God moves in our lives. We will see that He lets the sun shine on us. We will realize that He sends rain to water our plants. We then see that is He who blesses us with good health, surrounds us with people we love. We will see that He is our good, good Father, and that He will never leave us nor forsake us, because He loves us so much. Are you grateful?

Comments